Dr Stephen Samuel
Senior Lecturer in Mechanical/Automotive Engineering
Area of Specialisation
- Thermodynamics of internal Combustion Engines
- Droplet combustion
- Combustion and combustion Generated pollutants-Gaseous and Nano-scale Particulate matter
- 1-D Engine modelling
- Powertrain Simulation
- Principle Investigator for TSB MiTRE (Micro-Turbine Range Extender) Project with Delta Motorsport
- Knowledge Base Supervisor for KTP project with YASA Motors
- Principle Investigator in Research and Consultancy project for evaluating Fuel economy of Hybrid fleets in London for Transport for London
Module leader for:
- Automotive Engines (MEng/BEng)
- Racing Engine Design (MSc/MEng)
- Advanced Powertrain Engineering (MSc/MEng)
- MSc Projects
Peer-Reviewed International Journals
- Cucchi, M., Samuel, S.(2014) ‘Influence of the exhaust gas turbocharger on nano-scale particulate matter emissions from a GDI spark ignition engine’, Journal of Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 76, 5, Pages 167–174, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.11.002
- Valsan, V., and Samuel, S. “Modelling the capture of Gasoline Engine Exhaust Particulate matter in Three way catalytic Converters”, Int. J. of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing, 2014 Vol.9, No.2, pp.177 – 192, 2014, DOI: 10.1504/IJVSMT.2014.061443.
- Samuel, S. and Álvarez Garcia, L., “Fuel from waste tyres and particulate matter emitted from the process, has been published in International Journal of Sustainable Engineering”, Taylor and Francis Online, 2013, DOI:10.1080/19397038.2013.848954.
- Whelan, I., Timoney, D., Smith, W. and Samuel, S., "The Effect of a Three-Way Catalytic Converter on Particulate Matter from a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine During Cold-Start," SAE Int. J. Engines 6(2):2013, doi :10.4271/2013-01-1305
- Whelan I, Samuel S, Hassaneen AE. “Investigation into the effect of Fuel Temperature on Particulate Matter Formation in Gasoline Direct-Injected Engine”, SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Volume 3, Issue 2, 67-76, 2011-3
- Whelan I, Samuel S, Timoney D, Hassaneen AE. “Characteristics of Nano-scale Particulates from Turbo-Intercooled Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine”, SAE International Journal of Fuels and Lubricants, Volume 3, Issue 2, 839-848, 2011-3
- Hassaneen, A E, Samuel, S. Whelan, I. Combustion instabilities and nanoparticles emission fluctuations in GDI spark ignition engine, International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 787−794 (2011) DOI 10.1007/s12239−011−0091−z
- Adetunji H, Pinto LMM, Siddique A, Samuel S. “Occupational health risk from exposure to nano-scale particles from Photocopiers – A Pilot Study”, International Journal on Industrial Risks Engineering (IJ-IRI), Vol 2, No1, 2009, ISSN 1918-2023.
- Sturgess J P, Hill B J, Samuel S. “Experimental investigation into Particulate size and number distribution from a SI engine: In-cylinder combustion and transient events”, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Proc. IMechE Part D, Vol. 222 No 6, 2008, pp 1065-1075.
- Samuel S, Morrey D, Garner C P, Taylor DHC, Fowkes M, Austin L. “Deriving on-Road spatial vehicle emission profiles from chassis dynamometer experiments” Journal of Automobile Engineering, IMechE Part D, Vol. 220, No 1 2006, pp 77-87.
- Samuel S, Morrey D, Fowkes M, Taylor DHC, Austin L, Fesltead F, Latham S. “ Real-world fuel economy and emission levels of a typical Euro-IV passenger vehicle”, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Proc. IMechE Part D, Vol 219, No 6, 2005, pp 833-842.
- Samuel S, Morrey D, Fowkes M, Taylor D H C, Garner CP, Austin L. “Real-world performance of catalytic converters”, Journal of Automobile Engineering, Proc. IMechE Part D, Vol 219 No 7, 2005, pp 881-888.
- Samuel S, Morrey D, Fowkes M, Taylor D H C, Austin L, Felstead T, Latham S. “The most Significant Vehicle Operating parameter for real-world emission levels”, SAE 2004 Transactions, Journal of Fuel and Lubricants, Paper No. 2004-01-0636.
- Samuel S, Morrey D, Fowkes M, Taylor D H C, Austin L, Garner C P. “Numerical Investigation of Real-World Gasoline car Drive-cycle Fuel Economy and Emissions”, SAE 2004 Transactions, Journal of Fuel and Lubricants, Paper No. 2004-01-0635
- Samuel S, Austin L, Morrey D. “Automotive test drive cycles for emission measurement and real –world emission levels- A Review”, Journal of Automotive Engineering, the Proceedings of IMechE Part D,. Engrs, Vol 216, No 7, 2002, pp 555-564.
- Sharma DK, Samuel S. “Fringe scanning Moiré Deflectometry for high sensitivity temperature mapping”, International Journal for Light and Electron Optics, Vol 111/3, ISSN 0030-4026, 2000.
- Sharma DK, Samuel S, Natarajan R. “Structure of Burning n-Hexane Droplets by Moiré Deflectometry”, Combustion Science and Technology, , Vol. 131, 1998, pp 305-321.
Peer-reviewed international conferences
- Vila Millan M., Samuel, S., “Nanofluids and Thermal Management Strategy for Automotive Application”, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1753, 2015.
- Elias, G.,
Samuel, S., and Picarelli, A., “Performance of ancillary systems of 2014+ Le Mans LMP1-H vehicles and optimization”, SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-1163, 2015.
- Lahuerta, J. and Samuel, S., "Numerical Simulation of Warm-Up Characteristics and Thermal Management of a GDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0870, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0870
- Whelan, I Smith, W, Timoney D and Samuel S, “The effect of engine operating conditions on engine-out particulate matter from a gasoline direct-injection engine during cold-start”, SAE 2012-01-1711
- Hassaneen, A., Samuel, S., and Morrey, D., "Soot Formation Model Applied to Spark Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0128, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0128.
- Divekera A, Samuel S. “Numerical simulation of adaptive combustion control for fuel neutral smart engines”, SAE World Congress 2011, SAE 2011-01-0848
- Samuel S, Hassaneen AE, Morrey D. “Particulate Matter Emissions and the Role of Catalytic Converter During Cold Start of GDI Engine” SAE 2010-01-2122
- Samuel S, McCormick G. “Hydrogen Enriched Diesel Combustion”, SAE 2010 Powertrains, Fuels and Lubricants, SAE 2010-01-2190.
- Whelan I, Samuel S, Hassaneen A E. “Investigation into the effect of Fuel Temperature on Particulate Matter Formation in Gasoline Direct-Injected Engine”, SAE 2010-01-1469, 2010
- Whelan I, Samuel S, Hassaneen A E. “Investigation into the Role of Catalytic Converters on Tailpipe-out Nano-Scale Particulate Matter from Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE 2010-01-1572, 2010.
- Samuel S, Hassaneen A E, Whelan I, Morrey D. “Combustion characteristics and cycle-by-cycle variation in a Turbo-Intercooled Gasoline Direct-Injected engine” SAE 2010-01-0348, 2010.
- Oropeza RG, Hernández CG, González FG, Puertos FG, Samuel S, Hassaneen AE. “Performance and emission characteristics of a diesel engine fuelled by animal and vegetable derived bio-diesel and ultra low sulphur diesel in Mexico City”, SAE 2010-01-0482, 2010.
- Oropeza RG, Hill B, Hassaneen AE, Samuel S, Morrey D. “Gasoline Engine Particulate Emission and Exhaust Gas Speciation”, Powertrains, fuels and lubricants, SAE 2009-01-2670, 2009.
- Hassaneen AE, Oropeza RG, Samuel S, Morrey D. “Influence of Physical and Chemical Parameters on Characteristics of Nano Scale Particulate in Spark Ignition Engines”, Powertrains, fuels and lubricants, SAE 2009-01-2651, 2009.
- Samuel S, Hassaneen AE, Morrey D, Oropeza RG. “The Effect of Gasoline Additives on Combustion Generated Nano-scale Particulates”, SAE- Powertrains, fuels and Lubricants, SAE 2009-01-1823, 2009.
- Oropeza RG, Samuel S, Hassaneen AE, Morrey D. “Evaluation of Fuel Consumption and Exhaust Emission Levels from a EURO-IV Vehicle for Real-world Driving in Mexico City”, SAE- Powertrains, fuels and Lubricants, SAE 2009-01-1824, 2009.
- Samuel S, Moughal KS. “Exhaust Emission Level Reduction in Two-Stroke Engine using In-Cylinder Combustion Control”, SAE 2007-01-1085, 2007.
- Al-Zudi F, Samuel S, Morrey D, Sehati S, Woolcock C. “The effect of tailpipe orientation on Carbon Monoxide dispersion patterns and cyclist exposure levels”, SAE 2006-01-0624, 2006.
- Lakshminarayanan P A, Samuel S, Dani A D. “Design and Development of Torsional Vibration Rubber Damper”, SAE 990023, 1999.
- Ivare V, Cox D, Samuel S, Indoor combustion generated nano-scale particles and gaseous pollutants, 7Th International conference on Indoor air quality, Ventilation and Energy Conservation in Buildings, New York, USA, Aug 2010.
- Adetunji H, Pinto LMM, Siddique A, Samuel S, “Occupational health risk from exposure to nano-scale particles from Photocopiers- A Pilot Study”, ARWH-RRSSTQ conference, École de Technologie Supérieure in Montreal from Jun 15 - 17, 2008.
- Samuel S, Austin L, Morrey D. “A Strategy for the operation of a vehicle in the optimum emission zone”, International Conference on Advanced Driver Assistance Systems, IEE, Conference Publication Number 483, , Sep 2001 pp 94-97.
- Sharma DK, Samuel S. “Investigation on Dissimilar Droplet Fuel Combustion by Moiré Deflectometry”, Proceedings of International Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (ICLASS) 2000, July, 2000 at Pasadena, California. USA.
- Samuel S, Sharma DK, Natarajan R. “Investigation of Interference Effects in Burning Methanol Droplets by Moiré Deflectometry”, Proceedings of XIV National Conference on IC Engines and Combustion, IAT, Pune, India, 1995.
- Samuel S, Sharma DK, Natarajan R. “Effects of up-ward airflow on temperature distribution in the wake of a burning methanol droplet diffusion flame by Moiré Deflectometry”, National Conference on Air Breathing Engines- IIT, Madras, 1996.
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Park B, Scattergood R, Harris C. (Oxonica Ltd, UK), Goddard G, Samuel S. (Oxford Brookes University), “Mechanistic Studies on the Action of a Cerium Based Diesel Fuel Additive” Additives 2005-Optimizing Automotive Power trains, 5-7 April 2005, Dublin, Ireland, organised by Royal Society of Chemistry, London.
- Samuel S. “Prediction of real-world vehicle emissions and fuel consumption using steady-state data”, UnICEG conference on Fuel Economy, CO2 emission and related Issues, 17-th April 2002, MIRA Nuneaton, United Kingdom
- Samuel S, Kakkar A, Singh P, Singh V P. “Finite Element Analysis and Design optimisation of a Crankshaft-using SDRC- I-Deas Analysis”, SDRC Users Conference, Pune, India, 2000.
- Samuel S, Sharma DK. “Moiré- fringe Scanning technique”, XXII National Symposium on Optical and Opto- Electronics Instrumentations, Held at IRDF, Dehradun, India, 1996.
- Sharma DK, Natarajan R, Samuel S. “Simulated Droplet Diffusion Flames Studies with the help of Moiré Deflectometry”, XXII National Symposium on Optical and Opto-Electronics Instrumentations, held at CSIO, Chandigargh, India, 1995.
- Sharma DK, Natarajan R, Samuel S. “Moiré Deflectometer for the study of Simulated Droplet Diffusion flames”, 18-th National Symposium on Instrumentation, S.V. University, Tirupati, India, 1994.