Fire Extinguishant Systems
Willans® Knowledge Transfer Project
The challenge is to create fire extinguisher systems for motorsport that can out-perform products currently available.
This will require genuine innovation and high-end problem-solving, drawing on academic resources to create solutions that can be manufactured and sold for safety-critical use at the forefront of automotive engineering. It will encompass a range of engineering knowledge from gases to materials to fluid dynamics.
The project will develop:
- validated models that give accurate spray patterns and flow rate as pressure drops
- further innovative system designs which help sustain flow rate during operation
- cost-effective lightweight component designs that meet temperature and pressure demands
- tests which validate system performance and help with production validation
- low volume manufacturing procedures to ensure reliability
The main outcome of project will be the embedding of a capability for innovation, which will enable the company to achieve its objectives and build on its work with leading-edge companies within Formula One, and with high visibility projects such as Bloodhound SSC.