Dr. Joana Oliveira dos Santos Amorim
Senior Lecturer in Engineering and Mathematics
I am a Senior Lecturer in Engineering and Mathematics at the Department of Mechanical engineering and Mathematical Sciences and the Liaison Manager for Collaborative Provision.
I have a PhD in Mathematics from Université Paris Dauphine (France, 2011) in the area of Hamiltonian Dynamics. From October 2012 to December 2013 I was a post-doctoral research assistant at Oxford University where I was part of the Geometry group and taught several undergraduate and postgraduate modules. I have been a Lecturer at Brookes University since January 2014.
Currently I teach students reading Mathematics but I also collaborate in the Mathematics teaching of engineering students.
My main role in the department is managing the FdEng and BSc degrees in Motorsports, Mechanical and Electrical and Electronic Engineering we offer at our partner colleges- at present these are Brooklands College, Abingdon and Witney College, Banbury and Bicester College, Bridgwater College and Solihull College.
Currently my research interests lie in two distinct areas: fundamental research in Pure Mathematics, more specifically in the areas of Hamiltonian Dynamics, Floer Homology and Fukaya Categories and, more recently, pedagogic and policy related research about the teaching of HE Mathematics in the context of FE and more generally HE programme development in FE.
- Liaison Manager for ACP programmes for MEMS
- MEMS representative for PESE project “Get Published!”
- Faculty Lead (TDE) for Mitigating Circumstances with Activate Learning and Ruskin College
- Module leader for Linear Algebra and Analysis I and II and co-teacher for Engineering Mathematics
At Brookes: Linear Algebra and Analysis I and II, Partial Differential Equations and Engineering Mathematics
Previously at other HE institutions: Geometry of Surfaces, Differentiable Manifolds, Topology and Groups, Measure Theory and Lebesgue Integration, Analysis I, II and III, Linear Algebra I, II and III, Complex Analysis, Topology, Mathematical tools for Management students.
- 2015-16: BSc Mathematics dissertation, “Complex analysis and its applications to PDEs”, Reece Butler
- 2014-15: BSc Mathematics dissertation, “Knot theory and its application to Biology”, Zoe Bright.
- 2014-15: BSc Mathematics dissertation, “Dynamical Systems and Fractals”, Thomas Wilder.
- Symplectic geometry: Special Lagrangian Geometry, Floer homology.
- Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems: Weak K.A.M. theory, Aubry-Mather theory.
- Teaching of Mathematics to Engineering students. Teaching HE in FE. HE policy
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education (PCTHE), July 2015, Oxford University.
- PhD (Mathematics), November 2011, Université Paris Dauphine, under the supervision of professor Patrick Bernard.
- Master 2 (MSc Mathematics), 2008, Ecole Polytechnique.
- Mestrado em Matemática e Aplicações (MSc), 2007, Instituto Superior Técnico.
- Licenciatura em Matemática Aplicada e Computação (BSc), 2005, Instituto Superior Técnico.
- Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (Portugal): Doctoral Degree Grant (BD), 2008-2011.
- Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian (Portugal): Young Researchers Grant (Novos Talentos em Matemática), 2002-2003, 2003-2004.
Memberships (and affiliations):
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
- Member of the London Mathematical Society
- Exact lagrangian submanifolds, lagrangian spectral invariants and aubry-mather theory, with L. Amorim and Y. Oh. In preparation, (2015).
- Uniqueness results for special Lagrangians and Lagrangian mean curvature flow expanders in Cm, with Y. Imagi and D. Joyce. To appear in Duke Mathematical Journal. Preprint. http://arxiv.org/abs/1404.0271 2015
- A geometric definition of the Mane-Mather set and a Theorem of Marie-Claude Arnaud, with Patrick Bernard. Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, volume 152, issue 01, pp. 167-178 (2011).
- A geometric definition of the Aubry-Mather set, with Patrick Bernard. Journal of Topology and Analysis 2(3):385-393 (2010).
- Théorie d'Aubry-Mather: un regard géométrique, PhD thesis (in french).
- April 2012, A geometric look on Aubry-Mather theory, PDE and Geometric Analysis seminar, University of Wisconsin-Madison, US.
- June 2011, Un regard géométrique sur la théorie d'Aubry-Mather et un Théoréme de M-C Arnaud, Séminaire Darboux, Université Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France.
- March 2011, Une définition géométrique des ensembles d'Aubry et Mañé et un Théoréme de M-C Arnaud, Séminaire de Systémes dynamiques et Géométrie, Université de Avignon et des Pays de Vaucluse, Avignon, France.
- February 2011, Définition symplectique de l'ensemble d'Aubry-Mather, Symplect'X, Paris, France.
- June 2010, A geometric definition of the Aubry-Mather Set, Analysis, Geometry, and Dynamical Systems Seminar, IST, Lisbon, Portugal.
- September 2011, A geometric point of view on Aubry-Mather theory, Weak KAM Theory in Italy, Cortona, Italy.
- October 2010, Une définition géométrique de l'ensemble d'Aubry-Mather, Reencontre KAM faible, Calvi, France.
- June 2010, A geometric definition of the Aubry-Mather Set, Jornades d'introducció als sistemes dinàmics i a les EDP's, Barcelona, Spain.
Conferences and Research Schools Attendance
- MatRIC's Conference 2015:Teaching, Learning, and Researching Undergraduate Mathematics Education, November 2015, Trondheim, Norway.
- Masterclass/CMI Summer School, Derived Differential Geometry and Applications of moduli spaces of J-holomorphic curves to symplectic geometry, August 2015, Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 8th IMA Conference on Mathematical Education of Engineers, March 2015, Loughborough University, UK.
- 2014 Clay Research Conference and Workshops, October 2014, Oxford University, UK.
- D-Days: A Panorama of Geometry. Conference in honor of Dietmar Salamon for his 60th birthday, 10-14 June 2013, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Postech Summer Lecture Series: A-infinity algebras, Floer cohomology and Fukaya categories, 26 June-26 July 2012, Pohang, South Korea.
- AMS Spring Central Section Meeting, 30 March-1 April 2012, Lawrence, Kansas, USA.
- Weak KAM Theory in Italy, 12-17 September 2011, Cortona, Italy.
- Colab Mathematics Summer School: Aubry Mather Theory and Optimal Transport, 13-17 June 2011, IST, Lisbon, Portugal.
- H2D Conference on Holomorphic and Hamiltonian Dynamical Systems, 1-7 May 2011, Porquerolles, France.
- Rencontre KAM Faible à Calvi, 9-17 October 2010, Calvi, France.
- Jornades d'introducció als sistemes dinàmics i a les EDP's, 14-23 June 2010, Barcelona, Spain.
- GESTA 2010, Symplectic Geometry with Algebraic Techniques, 9-12 June 2010, IST, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Symplectic and Contact Topology and Dynamics: Puzzles and Horizons, 22-26 March 2010, MSRI, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Ecole d'Automne sur la Théorie Kam Faible, 19-23 October 2009, CIRM, Marseille, France.
- Nice Weak KAM Methods in Nice, 2-7 February 2009, Nice, France.
- Colab Mathematics Summer School: Dynamical Systems, Theoretical and Applied Hamiltonian Dynamics, 16-20 June 2008, IST, Lisbon, Portugal.